Updated May 16th, 2020
Monti Bay Lodge was designed for good times with friends and family. And as you know, Yakutat is a very small community, and we are a small, family business. The health, safety, and wellbeing of our friends, family, guests and local community is of utmost concern.
We understand that you may be experiencing stress as there is a lot of information to navigate: restrictions and guidelines from the state of Alaska, the community of Yakutat, and the Department of Fish and Game.
Travel and social distancing policies are being re-evaluated approximately every two weeks. With each notice, we are evaluating the impacts on our guests and our business operations.
As of May 16, 2020:
- State of Alaska: All people arriving in Alaska through June 2, 2020 are required to self-quarantine for 14 days and monitor for illness, whether resident, worker or visitor. During this time you may only leave your lodging for medical emergencies or to seek medical care. Visiting public spaces is not allowed during self-quarantine.
- Yakutat: Travelers must proceed directly from the airport or place of moorage to his or her designated quarantine location for 14 days, and submit a travel declaration form by email. Groceries and supplies must be ordered by phone or email for delivery, paid by credit card.
- Department of Fish and Game: Although travel between communities is prohibited under the issued health mandates, the public may still travel to fishing locations provided that they follow specific guidelines when traveling to participate in sport or personal use fisheries that occur outside of their communities of residence.
- State of Alaska Policy on Fishing Charters: Charters may resume operations if they follow all guidelines, including social distancing, capacity requirements and cleaning and disinfecting. If patrons are household members, the charter may be for the full legal load/capacity of the boat or vessel. If patrons are non-household members, fishing charters may only take the number of patrons that can maintain social distancing requirements.
We are currently open for business and supporting lodging for the construction crew working on the new Yakutat Medical Clinic.
The Caribou Cabin and Moose Creek Cabin are scheduled to open in mid-June after the snow pack thaws. The King Suite, Silver Suite and Steelhead Suite remained open over the winter.
We are connecting with guests that have bookings that fall before June 2nd to determine if trips can be rescheduled. Per our cancellation policy, bookings are non-refundable but will do everything we can to get you back to Monti Bay to fish.
In addition to following the government policies, we’ve implemented safety precautions to protect guests, staff, and the 600+ residents of Yakutat:
- Van Rental Waivers will be sent electronically ahead of arrival
- Keys for vehicles, suites and cabins are sanitized for your protection
- Guestroom cleaning focuses on disinfecting high touchpoints, and we provide hand soap, spray bleach, and paper towels for self-cleaning during your stay
- Laundry facilities are available to guests 24/7
We are also developing new protocols for cleaning vans, boats and the fish processing room. On May 11th the borough of Yakutat voted on plans for businesses to safely re-open. This includes a requirement to review the Covid-19 mitigation plans for Yakutat businesses. We are in the process of submitting our operating protocols in preparation to welcome vacationing guests after June 2nd.
Thank You to Our Monti Bay Lodge Community
Although commercial fishing is an important industry for Yakutat, the entire community’s financial health is dependent upon travel, tourism, and sport fishing. We are optimistic that with social distancing and other safety restrictions in place, Yakutat will enjoy a great fishing season later this year, and we will have a healthy community.
We appreciate your trust, patience, and your business. We hope that together we will all have a great season, and be in a place to enjoy Yakutat for many years to come.
Please let us know if we can be of help or answer any questions. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call or text Owner Curt Heikell at 206-391-2118.
Curt Heikell and the Monti Bay Lodge Team