Monti Bay Lodge was designed for good times with friends and family. And as you know, Yakutat is a very small community, and we are a small, family business. The health, safety, and wellbeing of our friends, family, guests and local community is of utmost concern.
We understand that you may be experiencing stress as there is a lot of information to navigate: restrictions and guidelines from the state of Alaska, the community of Yakutat, and the Department of Fish and Game.
Travel and social distancing policies are being re-evaluated approximately every two weeks. With each notice, we are evaluating the impacts on our guests and our business operations.
As of August 11, 2020:
Negative Covid-19 tests are a prerequisite for your stay at Monti Bay Lodge
Monti Bay Lodge guests must have Covid-19 test results completed and uploaded to the Alaska Travel Portal in advance of arrival
- If you’ve uploaded negative test results to the portal - and notified Monti Bay Lodge - you are good to proceed to the resort and have a great trip
- If you arrive in Yakutat without uploading negative test results, or proof of pending results, you will be required by the state of Alaska to quarantine in a space that is limited to one person, with one bedroom and one bathroom
- Monti Bay Lodge is unable to provide this kind of housing for self-quarantine
Alaska’s new travel protocols take effect Tuesday, Aug. 11 with different requirements for Alaska residents and non-residents, and a new travel portal for submitting Covid test results online. For more information on COVID-19 in Alaska, go here: https://covid19.alaska.gov/
Per the state of Alaska:
- All non-residents must upload a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival in Alaska, or upload your proof of a pending test result.
- If you’ve uploaded proof of the test without a result, you must quarantine immediately on arrival until these results come in a location limited to one guest, with one bedroom, and one bathroom.
Although the state of Alaska will allow non-residents to enter the state with a pending test, Monti Bay Lodge cannot meet the state’s quarantine requirements due to space limitations and risk to the business. Negative Covid-19 tests are a prerequisite for your stay at Monti Bay Lodge.
Yakutat is currently operating under the state guidelines, requiring all non-residents to have a negative test prior to arrival. Yakutat does not have the resources to provide Covid-19 tests beyond those at critical risk.
We would like to reinforce that Yakutat has a Community Health Center, but does not have a hospital. The Yakutat Community Health Center is a small outpatient clinic typically open weekdays Monday through Friday from 9AM - 5PM. They are operating under “urgent care” policy: on call for emergencies, with all other outpatient appointments cancelled.
Patients requiring hospitalization must travel to Anchorage or Juneau for care. Patients with confirmed COVID-19 cannot travel on Alaska Airlines, so must be transported by air ambulance.
The Health Center recommends visitors obtain air ambulance insurance prior to arrival in Yakutat. A single flight from Yakutat to Anchorage without insurance can cost as much as $75,000.
LifeMed Alaska provides supplemental insurance coverage for emergency medical transportation - provided that your primary insurance includes emergency air transport. Memberships are available online at the rate of $49 per household.
Sport fishing is allowed within the current State of Alaska Health Mandates. During sport and personal use fishing, anglers should practice social distancing and wear a face covering. Charters must follow all guidelines, including social distancing, capacity requirements and cleaning and disinfecting.
Monti Bay Lodge Safety Protocols
In addition to following the government policies, we’ve implemented safety precautions to protect guests, staff, and the 600+ residents of Yakutat:
- Group leads must provide confirmed counts of guests and contact information to Monti Bay Lodge ahead of arrival
- Guests must upload a negative Covid-19 test to the Alaska Travel Portal
- Guests must provide notice to Monti Bay Lodge via email that the negative test result was submitted to the State of Alaska
- Van Rental Waivers will be sent electronically ahead of arrival
- Keys for vehicles, suites and cabins are sanitized for your protection
- Guest room cleaning focuses on disinfecting high touch-points, and we provide hand soap, spray bleach, and paper towels for self-cleaning during your stay
- Laundry facilities are available to guests 24/7
- Common areas such as the laundry, fish processing room, and freezers are wiped down daily at lunchtime by staff
- We are limiting use of the fish processing room and laundry to one group at a time
Food Services in Yakutat
Local businesses have quickly adapted to help maintain social distancing requirements, including phone and online orders, and local deliveries. If you are interested in having Monti Bay Lodge prepare meals for you, please contact us and we can provide pricing and availability.
Here are a few examples of local options:
(Groceries, Household and Other Supplies): Store is Open to the public and accepting phone and email orders for delivery. 7 days a week, 7am-8pm
907-784-3355 | email@example.com
(Groceries, Household and Other Supplies): Store is Open to the public and accepting phone and online orders for delivery. 7 days a week, 7am-9pm.
907-784-3386 | https://www.shopalaskacommercial.com/shop (select Yakutat as store)
(Hardware, Household, Construction, Fishing Supplies):
PHONE ORDERS – PICK-UP ONLY. 10am-5:30pm M-F, 10am-3pm Saturdays
YCC/Glass Door Bar & Liquor Store
Bar closed to the public. Liquor Store open 10am-10pm daily, Mon-Sun, max 2 people allowed in the store at a time. Credit card preferred but cash payment allowed if necessary
We are connecting with guests that have August and September 2020 bookings to confirm the Alaska Covid-19 testing requirements, and the resulting business requirements. We have modified our payment schedule with final payment due one day prior to arrival, rather than our standard 30 days in advance.
Per our cancellation policy, bookings are non-refundable but will do everything we can to get you back to Monti Bay to fish.
Thank You to Our Monti Bay Lodge Community
We are optimistic that with our guest’s partnership in following the testing protocols, social distancing, and other safety restrictions in place, Yakutat will enjoy a great fishing season this year, and we will have a healthy community.
Although commercial fishing is an important industry for Yakutat, the entire community’s financial health is dependent upon travel, tourism, and sport fishing. We know we must be extremely cautious as there are ripple effects of a guest diagnosis including health risks for staff and guests, mandates to remain in quarantine, local resources, and possible impacts / elimination of trips for subsequent guests.
We appreciate your trust, patience, and your business. We hope that together we will all have a great season, and be in a place to enjoy Yakutat for many years to come.
Please let us know if we can be of help or answer any questions. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call or text Owner Curt Heikell at 206-391-2118.
Curt Heikell and the Monti Bay Lodge Team